Monday, September 29, 2008

Dreamscapes and Flipbooks

Well, in class recently, we've been delving more deeply into highly conceptual films, most of them much more modern. One of my personal favorites was the Stanley Kubrik classic, 2001: A Space Odyssey. I've loved the movie since the first time I saw it, about five years ago. Everything from the realistic vision of the future, to the psychedelic final scenes, it is a clear scinematic masterpiece. We also watched another Kubrik hit, A Clockwork Orange. Of course, it's widely known to be a very intense, and at many times, vulgar film, but the overall message is definitely one of anarchy and world change. Definitely a visionary film in the same way 2001 was. In addition to these Kubrik classics, we watched other interesting takes of the future, Bladerunner and Videodrome. We followed up with the musical oddity (a classic though), Rocky Horror Picture Show. All are great films in their own rights, and should really be seen especially those by Stanley Kubrik.

In other news, we've been working diligently for the past two weeks on flipbooks, as a way of exploring traditional animation techniques, and I have to say that, though I've made the simple flip-animation here or there in the past, this was a much greater undertaking, and I very happy with the final result. In the very near future, I will post pictures from it, and eventually I hope to get the time to compile it into a digital video of some sort, probably an animated gif or something. So look forward to that.

No comments: